Merciful heart Vs Rules

This is my reflection from what I have experienced last Sunday. I made a booking for Sunday mass for myself, and my two other sons. Apparently, I booked wrong date for one of my sons.

In the end, we are not allowed to enter the church as I made wrong booking for one of them. I agreed that there's a rule however what made me sad and disappointed were the attitude of the church wardens.

They are called a hospitality team however their behaviours are so arrogant and contradict with the name.

I told them that since I am here, I will attend the mass from outside with my two children. Then, they just said that it's not supposed to be allowed because they were afraid for the authority who do random check but since only 3 of us they allowed us to stand outside the church.


They never offered us any seats out of courtesy, they watched me and my kids from inside the church as since we are being punished of booking wrong date. Our kids were sitting in the floor. It really broke my heart to see this and I have no power to say anything since it's my mistake.

I just question myself, is there any mercy even in the church itself ?

Is the rules more important than merciful heart ?

This is the second experience I have in the church how the rules over the merciful heart and it's done not by the layman but by the higher ministers in the church who are so called to be the servant.

It's such an irony, but it's a good reminder for me that if I face the same situation, I should have a merciful heart.

I give thanks to God that I experience this "pain", it's a privilege for me to take part in Jesus' cross when someone hurt us.



Comments