Psalm 56 (A prayer of Trust in God)


Be merciful to me, O God,
because I am under attack ;
my enemies persecute me all the time.
All day long my opponents attack me
There are so many who fight against me.
When I am afraid, O Lord Almighty,
I put my trust in You.

I trust in God and am not afraid ;
I praise Him for what He has promised.
What can a mere human being do to me ?

My enemies make trouble for me all day long ;
they are always thinking up some way to hurt me !
They gather in hiding places and watch everything I do,
hoping to kill me.
Punish them, O God, for their evil, defeat those people in your anger !

You know how troubled I am ;
You have kept a record for my tears.
Aren't they listed in your book ?
The day I call to you,
my enemies will be turned back.
I know this : God is on my side
The Lord, whose promises I praise.

In Him, I trust and I will not be afraid.
What can a mere human being do to me ?
O God I will offer you what I have promised ;
I will give you my offering of thanksgiving,
because You have rescued me from death and kept me from defeat.
And so I walk in the presence of God
in the light that shines on the living.

Comments