You are forgiven


Yesterday, if we notice, the color of the lithurgy was PINK, Why is it pink in the middle of the Lent Season ?
It's because yesterday marked the Reconciliation and the Feast as we are reconciled and forgiven by God.

Thus starting today (1 April 2019) until next Thursday (11 April 2019), all catholic churches in Singapore have Penitantial services.

Why do we need to come for Sacrament of Reconciliation ?
Perhaps we can say that I can do it on my own or even during Sunday mass there's penitential rite. That's true, we need to clean our soul everyday. But by coming to the sacrament of reconciliation, it means that we humble ourselves before God to say God, this is me, the sinner, the broken hearted, I'm not worthy to be Your son (remember the Prodigal son story).

Honestly, it's not easy to come to Sacrament of Reconciliation because of our pride, our shame, we thought that our sins are unforgiven, or even other reasons and excuses.

In addition, as human, more than often we need to hear the words of assurance like "I love you" or "I forgive you". Good news is the priest has been given the authority from God to act on behalf of God to forgive (remember the verse from New Testament -> What you forgive on earth, will be forgiven in heaven)

For those who may forget about how to do it, don't worry the priest would be more than happier to help us.

When we enter the reconciliation room, we will make a sign of the cross and say
"Bless me, Father. My last confessions is .....(weeks/months/years) even if it's your first time, that's very okay.
Why we need to say this ? It's not because the priest will judge us but it's to help him to know about the big picture of our life as to give him proper advise and penances.

Continue with, "The sins I have....."
Sometimes, we are too nervous, overwhelmed etc and we forget our sins.
Remember the prayer I confess.....?
We can use (in my words, in my thoughts, in what I have done and in what I failed to do lists) as to examine our conscience.

Then, Father will give us advises and penances ( 3 hail mary, our father, rosary prayer)
Penance is not a form of punishment.
God has already forgiven us when we have courage to come to the sacrament of reconciliation even before we confess our sins.
Penance is a form of thanksgiving that God has forgiven and forgotten our sins and we also ask God's grace to help us to start our new life.

Father will ask us to say the act of contrition.
Some churches may provide this prayer, but if we can't remember, we can say I confess....
Again, the important thing is not the words and grammar, it's our heart. We say it from the bottom of our heart, that we are really sorry and want to make ammendments.

Last but not least, FAther will give us absolutions by raising His hand and say that "I absolve you from the sins in the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit and go in peace."
When he raises his hand, doesn't mean that he asks us to Hi-5 with him.
It means that he has been given the authority to set us free and breath the Holy Spirit to help us to start a new life as new person after we are leaving the confession room.

Comments