King David Role Model


This past weeks the reading was about King David.
And somehow it's coincidence with what I have been going through.
Mentioned in previous writing, I was in dilemma between back to work or stay at home.

Two days ago, one of my friends messaged me since she's the one who received first hand news from my interviewer.
She's pretty surprised with my decision to return back to work because she found that I'm more enterprising person than working for people.

During our conversation, I started to confuse again.
I asked myself, what I really want.
I have a great and comfortable life, can do whatever I want that makes myself happy and fulfilling.
Should I return back to work ?

Then, the story of King David came up just in time.


David was a simple and un-noticeable shepherd.
His job looked mundane, only taking care the sheep in the green pastures.
I don't think he's even dreaming becoming the great King of Israel someday.
I reckoned he spent most of the time playing harps and write songs while waiting for the sheep.
In his solitude life, he may have spend talking with God too.


Then, Samuel came out of sudden and anointed him as he's gonna be the next king.
If I were him, I will be in disbelief too, because King Saul who's more handsome, powerful and capable was still alive.

However, he kept his humility and did usual works like before.
Until one day, God used him to fight with Goliath and brought victory to Israel.


The story line could be short cut like in any other heroic movie, everyone praised and made him as their king.
But, this was not the case.


Instead, he lived in fear, he was nomad because King Saul wanted to kill him out of jealousy.
He may think Samuel was totally wrong.
One fine day, he got a chance to kill King Saul while he's sleeping and can make himself as king directly too, however, he chose not to.
He spared King Saul's life and even tried to talk and counsel him.


God's faithful in His words and promises.
When King Saul died because of himself, finally King David became the King of Israel.
The prophecy was realised.


During his Kingship, he always relied on God in everything he did and God's favour rested in Him.
Whatever He did, the kingdom won the victory over enemy and prospered.

It's human nature, when we already lived in comfort zone, complacency took place. King David fell into deception, conspiracy, murder and lie with his affair with Betsheba.


It didn't please God and God sent Nathan to reprimand him, he regretted his actions and humbly asked God's forgiveness.


Eventhough there's a price to pay for every action, God forgave him.

His journey as king was not so smooth either.
One of his sons wanted to take the power and kill King David.
Instead of fighting against his son, he chose to leave and asked his soldiers to spare his son's life.



From these stories, there are many lessons learned

1. Mundane and unimportant jobs may be a good training ground
2. God chose the heart of man not outside appearance or skills
3. When God has chosen, the path may not be so smooth, there were many ups and downs and surprises in life, but He always be there by sending people surround us to help and support us
4. God's faithful in His words and promises, we need to have faith in Him
5. When we started to live in complacency, that's where temptation came and tried to pull us down.
6. Even if we make mistakes, what God needs from us is a contrite and humble heart to get up, ask his forgiveness and move on
7. What God really wants from us is the heart to serve and trust in Him as well as obedience and humility.

So from this King David's story, I only could say.

I don't know what will be my path.
If it's God's willing for me to return back to work, I'm sure He will provide whatever I need.
What I have done in the past 11 years will be great foundation to do my work in wider environment.
I only need to stay closer to God, trust in Him and depend on Him solely in whatever I do.






Comments